Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Moooovin' Forward!

Today, I read a bizarrely funny article about a cow falling out of the sky and crashing into a couple's car. Fortunately, the couple is fine. (Unfortunately, the world is short about 400 hamburgers!)

Here's the link if you haven't heard about this story:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071107/od_nm/fall_dc;_ylt=ArVw3OcEevsI4M9luUdodhGs0NUE

For some reason, the article made me think of when I was a teenager in my driver's education class. On the simulators, we were trained to anticipate for all kinds of hidden dangers and surprises, such as the child running after a ball from behind a parked car, or a ladder falling off a contractor's van.

I don't seem to recall the film where a cow falls from the sky onto your car! Ha!

Speaking of driver's education, I remember that my instructors did NOT give me high marks when I started driving on the road. Apparently, I couldn't maintain my lane. Sure, I was nervous, but the real problem (I soon learned) was that I was focusing on the lines of the road that were directly in front of me. I didn't realize it at the time, but I was hugging the right side of the road, and then I would slide to the left as I looked at the left line.

My instructor calmly reminded me to pick a point in the middle of the road that was much further in front of the car. Then he told me to drive to that point. Presto! Problem solved!

Additionally, I seemed to spend too much time looking at my mirrors. He said it was good to glance back occasionally, but he cautioned me not to look for more than a glance. He worried that I would find myself in a ditch somewhere if I didn't focus on where I was going.

Concerning our businesses, it is also important to look far out in front. That is, it is important to have long-term vision. Doing so makes it much easier to maintain the road, avoiding accidents.

Of course, we can't dwell on the past either. We can learn from it. We can comment about it. But if we are to get to where we are going, we need to look FORWARD!

I don't know about you, but I am looking forward to what is in store for all of us.

As for the flying cows, I guess life can throw you all kinds of unforeseen problems even if you are focused forward. When these problems do occur, you count your blessings, you learn, and then you continue on your way!

In our case...onto a MILLION STRONG!!

No comments: