Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The System of Success

Their are literally tens of thousands of baseball coaches around the country. The highly successful ones ALL invest in their education.

In an effort to become one of the best baseball coaches in the country, I used to travel to one or two national baseball conventions as well as a state convention each year. At the conventions, the top coaches in baseball would discuss various topics, from hitting fundamentals to fielding drills, from pitching mechanics to baserunning strategies.

I would pay hundreds of dollars at each convention to listen to the speakers. After all, these are people with knowledge and expertise which I valued. I also paid to receive a couple newsletters and baseball magazines. Believe me, the information I received helped me become a MUCH better coach.

Also, at the conventions, hundreds of vendors would set up various promotional stands showing their products. Hitting machines, various bats and gloves, computers to keep statistics, grounds keeping equipment, and much more was available for the coaches to order.

To my knowledge, NOBODY complained about the ticket prices. (Nobody was forced to go!!). Nobody complained that the speakers were receiving gifts and money as compensation. Nobody complained that many coaches bought items (to help their programs) from the vendors. Nobody complained about being brainwashed by a system.

Instead, everyone seemed pretty satisfied with the information. At my school, I was praised for my desire to be the best coach.

More importantly, I DID become a better baseball coach, a product of hours of speakers, hours of note-taking, and of course, hours of applying those ideas.


When I consider the merits of the TEAM training system, I am more convinced than ever (and believe me, I too had initial doubts about the "need" for a system) that the system is essential to a person's success in ANY business or venture.

The top baseball coaches pay to improve themselves. The top teachers pay to take various classes and receive certain educational journals. Superior doctors keep abreast of the latest techniques through medical journals and seminars. Yet nobody questions the money paid for such continuing education

The bottom line is that the most successful people in any profession understand that a system of education is an investment in themselves...an investment in their future!

No comments: